[regex-coach] negative lookahead assertion bug?

Arian Hojat armyofda12mnkeys at gmail.com
Wed May 21 14:32:26 UTC 2008

i think the last email was right about the pattern needing to be
([A-Z]-)(?![^a-z]{3})([a-z0-9A-Z]* ),
this one is like a double NOT, almost right?

Now I'm just curious with a pattern like this.... This pattern
([A-Z]-)(?![^a-z]{3})
for text: A-xyz37 # B-ab6142 # C-Wxy66 # D-qrs93
matches
A-xyz37 # B-ab6142 # C-Wxy66 # D-qrs93

Its looking to make sure the next thing after Capital Letter dash isnt 3
lower case letters, then 'nots' it?
aka it really looks ahead for 3 lowercase letters, and i thought would only
match A- and D-.

Thanks for the help btw, I wasnt sure if these were problems with program or
just me understanding regexes bad :) which is most likely the case.
Arian