[regex-coach] Re: Regex Coach

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Fri Sep 16 10:07:31 UTC 2005

[Please use the mailing list for questions, bug reports, or feature
requests - see Cc.]

Hi!

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:25:47 +0200 (CEST), Maciej Żenczykowski <maze at cela.pl> wrote:

> Beautiful program

Thanks!

> however I'd like to ask for two features:
>
> 1) the ability to turn off parsing after every change of the regex (I
>    think it recompiles and retests everything), as this makes changes
>    slow once the regex is large (ie allow manual updating, or delayed
>    updating or something, or background updating)
>
> even a simple checkmark for autoupdate (default on) would be enough

Can you send me the regex that caused these problems?  What hardware
do you have?

Yes, the app has to re-compile and re-check on each change - that's
one of its defining features.  I haven't seen noticable delays with
"normal" regular expressions, though.  It could help if you pasted the
whole regex in at once.  Did you try that?

> 2) the ability to colour every match of the pattern in the string -
>    not only the current one.

Several people have asked for this feature and it'll most likely be
the first I'll add in a future release.

> If this wouldn't be too much trouble?

At the moment I'm too busy for new features, only bugfixes if
necessary.

Cheers,
Edi.