[regex-coach] Feature request: Regexp performance indicator/steps used

Morten Hattesen morten.hattesen at gmail.com
Mon May 2 14:05:46 UTC 2005

I really appreciate what Regex Coach has done for honing my Regular
Expressions skills, and assisting debugging of complex expressions.
 I frequently wish to optimize regular expressions (mainly by reducing
possible backtracking http://www.regular-expressions.info/atomic.html), but
lack a way to test the relative performance between different regular
expressions.
 To measure performance of a given regexp, I would really like the
possibility of having Regex Coach count the total number of steps used by
the underlying regexp engine for a given regexp search, or some other
meaningful performance indicator.
This could possibly be displayed when pressing the ">>" (show next match)
button (regardless of whether a match was found or not). This way, you can
quickly try out different matching approaches, and get an indication of the
relative performance.
 Rgds,
 Morten Hattesen