[regex-coach] Apparent crash on complex regex in "Tree" tab

era+regex=coach at iki.fi era+regex=coach at iki.fi
Tue Aug 30 10:01:53 UTC 2005

I came across your tool, and while it appears interesting, the first
thing I tried it with appears to have crashed it somehow.

I was trying to run a SpamAssassin rule against a message from the
SpamAssassin public corpus. Both of these are publicly available from
http://www.spamassassin.org but for completeness, I am also attaching
them below in exactly the form I was using them.

Running the regex from 20_head_tests_cf_UNRESOLVED_TEMPLATE.txt with the
/m modifier against the message headers in easy_ham_00001-head.txt and
clicking on the "Tree" tab causes a lot of output to be printed on
standard output (cf. third attachment) and the main window to disappear
after a short while. The process is still alive, consuming around 90-95%
of the CPU, though not producing a lot of load (load average still well
below one). I finally killed it after allowing it to run for some 10
minutes wall clock time. Incidentally, ctrl-C causes a message
"Quittingregex-coach/regex-coach : Interrupted - quitting" to be printed
(on standard output, not standard error, sigh), but does not kill the
process.

PS. Would you mind if your list was signed up for Gmane
<http://www.gmane.org/>? If I go ahead and sign up the list, do you have
an mbox archive handy which could be imported into Gmane?

/* era */

--
If this were a real .signature, it would suck less.  Well, maybe not.