[regex-coach] highlight suggestion

Anthony Bautista Jr. temp3 at agosis.com
Thu Nov 4 19:44:20 UTC 2004

Greetings,

I am new to this mailing list & tool & have to see that it definitely has
potential to be a very helpful tool / coach.

In going through some basic examples, I have observed the following issue:

For...

Regular Expression:
a+
Target String:
Mary had a little lamb.
And everywhere that Mary
went, the lamb was sure
to go.

... and while 'g' checkbox is checked, only the first 'a' character is
highlighted yellow in the 'Target String' box.  It would be nice &
consistent with the 'Match from 1 to 2', 'Replace' tab for all the 'a'
characters to highlight whilst the 'g' (replace globally) checkbox is
checked.  My thoughts are that the 'g' checkbox should be a global setting
that will affect the 'Replace' tab & 'Split' tab.  That is, if the 'g' is
unchecked, then only the first match is replaced and split (and highlighted,
my main concern) consistently, but if checked, then all matches would be
hit.

FYI - I'd like to share my first success, an expression that can be used to
partially hide credit card numbers transmission in clear text over the net
(like for order / invoice confirmations etc...):

Anyhow, thanks in advance & I look forward to feedback re: my suggestion