[rdnzl-devel] Type lookup problems, and solutions.

Dan Muller s8ctxw402 at sneakemail.com
Sat Feb 25 00:34:03 UTC 2006

Dan Muller s8ctxw402-at-sneakemail.com |RDNZL-devel/via Sneakemail| wrote:
> Remember that problem I was having importing some types? I'm not sure
> why, but on my system, System.Type.GetTypes is more picky than RDNZL
> seems to expect:
> [lots more stuff elided]

On further reflection, I've decided to work on this as a separate
package layered on top of RDNZL, so that I can try implementing some
other features that I'd like, related to the management of package
use-lists and the timing of type resolution, which would be very
intrusive to incorporate into RDNZL.

> - Have IMPORT-TYPE always retrieve and cache the assembly-qualified
> name of the type.
>
> Downside: This will include the exact version.  This means that in
> a delivered application involving a saved image, there is no way to
> use an updated version of a used assembly. (Haven't tested for
> this, though.) Might be an acceptable short-term fix, though.
>
> - Have IMPORT-ASSEMBLY supply the assembly to IMPORT-TYPE. Good
> idea, since it's currently inconsistent about this vis-a-vis
> IMPORT-TYPES. But it doesn't address the problem described above.

I suggest using one of these techniques for now in RDNZL. In any case,
I'll be able to work around my type resolution problem in the package
I'll build, which will have its own type object cache.

I have a local copy of RDNZL with some of the changes that I described,
which I'm going to set aside for now.

--
Dan