[rdnzl-devel] Re: New version 0.9.3

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Fri Feb 17 19:12:17 UTC 2006

[Re-routing to the mailing list.]

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 13:21:14 -0500, "Dan Muller" <s8ctxw402 at sneakemail.com> wrote:

> I'll try it out tonight and let you know how it works.

Good.

> I'm thinking that a cleaner solution might be an optional
> target-type argument to BOX, although that requires RDNZL to pick
> the conversion needed.

Yeah, maybe.  The advantage of my workaround is that you don't have to
call BOX explicitely because RDNZL calls it as needed.  So, you should
be able to just INVOKE a method with arguments like 3.4d2 and RDNZL
will convert it to a System.Single automatically.

> Or a perhaps even more generally, a way to call a method of an
> object or type with some arguments, but get the return value without
> conversion, boxed if necessary. With that, I could have called
> System.Convert.ToSingle and gotten a boxed Single back. Perhaps
> calling it INVOKE-RETURNING-CONTAINER.

But you'd have to do this for PROPERTY and FIELD as well.  And you'd
lose the advantages of the special reader syntax.  A bit messy.

> Thanks a lot for writing RDNZL. This is ever so much easier than
> fooling around with FFIs to call C or C++ APIs.
>
> As I'm going along, I'm writing a few small utilities to help with
> various common tasks. When I've had more experience with this, I'll
> offer them for inclusion in RDNZL.

That would be nice.

Cheers,
Edi.