[quiz] [QUIZ #1] Solution by Stuart Sierra

Stuart Sierra mail at stuartsierra.com
Wed May 3 15:07:04 UTC 2006

This is very similar to Joseph Abrahamson's solution.  The main
difference is that I use separate databases for each part of the
question: the initial set-up, the operation (addition or subtraction),
and the final question.  I also got a little silly with the text of the
questions.

This code can be extended to other operations by adding to the
*operations* list and creating another *Xstrings* list, where X is the
symbol name of the operation (e.g. +, -, *, ...).

My goal was to add enough "noise" to the question that it could not be
solved by simple text calculators such as Google.  It's still pretty
easy to crack this once you know the algorithm -- just scan the question
string for numbers, add or subtract them, and you've got a 50% chance of
getting the right answer.

Code attached.
-Stuart