Suddenly having trouble with update-dao

Ralf Mattes rm at seid-online.de
Thu Jan 23 16:02:27 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 10:05:55AM -0500, Zach Beane wrote:
> Marijn Haverbeke <marijnh at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Yes, recently someone submitted a patch that broke a bunch of things.
> > It has already been reverted in the git repository, but I guess
> > quicklisp picked up the broken version (since it seems to assume that
> > repositories are never broken). Update from git, I guess.

Urghs, I just created some (Debian) package building scripts that rely
on Quicklisp (i.e. that install a temporsry quicklisp to build standalone
binaries). The idea that quicklisp might deploy some arbitrary checkout
makes me frown.

> I don't assume that repositories are never broken. I don't have a good
> system in place to do pre-release testing beyond "Does it build?" I'd
> like to do more thorough testing, but setting up the infrastructure for
> it takes time.

It might be a good idea to offer the upstream programmers a way to provide
a branch/tag to mark quicklisp ready versions of the code (I personally use
git-flow and that has a branch named 'release').

Cheers, Ralf Mattes