[postmodern-devel] setting default value for serial column in prepared insert statement execution

Antony lisp.linux at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 07:12:22 UTC 2011

Hi

I was trying to find how to use the 'serial' (auto increment) type
through cl-postgres prepared insert statement execution.

According to
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/datatype-numeric.html#DATATYPE-SERIAL
I basically have two choices for defaulting a serial column value
1. pass the DEFAULT keyword for the column value
2. do not include the serial column in the insert statement

The way my code is setup, it's more convoluted to do #2

I wanted to check if it's possible to do #1. That would really make a
big difference to me.

-Antony