[postmodern-devel] Can't redefine slots as columns - why?

Lucas Hope lucas.r.hope at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 00:11:25 UTC 2009

Hi there,

I am just getting my feet wet with postmodern.  It looks like I will
be doing some heavy development with it for the next couple of weeks.
Wish me luck!

My (first?) issue is that I want to do something similar to the
following example code.  Here CIRCLE is an in-memory implementation of
a circle, and it is desired to create a DAO object which moves storage
to a postgres backend. (We have lots of circles...)

Pretend CIRCLE has a host of useful functionality attached and I can't
just point all the defmethods to DAO-CIRCLE.

(defclass SHAPE () ())

(defclass CIRCLE (SHAPE)
  (radius))

(defclass DAO-CIRCLE (CIRCLE)
  ((radius :col-type real))
  (:metaclass dao-class))

(dao-table-definition 'dao-circle)
=> ERROR: Slot RADIUS in class #<DAO-CLASS DAO-CIRCLE> is both a
column slot and a regular slot.

Why doesn't this work, and how can I make it work?  It seems like this
is useful functionality to have.  I want the DAO-CIRCLE's radius to be
a column slot.

Cheers,

-Luke