[postmodern-devel] Using postgresql's default option for column values

Peter Eddy peter.eddy at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 18:28:09 UTC 2008

Hi, new postmodern user here.

I'd like to be able to use postgresql's 'default' column value feature
instead of an :initform in deftable. Is that possible? I haven't had
any luck getting it to work.

I have a couple of reasons for wanting to do this, first I have
several tables that get their primary keys from a single postgresql
sequence, e.g.:

create table fooA ( id int8 default nextval( 'id_source' ) primary key, ... )

create table fooB ( id int8 default nextval( 'id_source' ) primary key, ... )

Additionally, other table columns use the 'default' option to create
creation time stamps and so forth.

I can't remove these options from the table definitions because that
would break the other applications that use the database.

So, what I'm really after is the ability to define fields with
deftable so that those fields are not initialized by (make-instance)
but read into the dao after creation, similarly to how auto-id appears
to work.

I looked through the archives but didn't see anything that looked
related to this.

thanks,
Peter