[postmodern-devel] postmodern, pg, cl-rdbms

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 13:54:19 UTC 2006

hello list,

i've recently found postmodern on cl.net, and i was wondering that
there seems to be a massive amount of duplication of efforts among the
following projects:

 - pg is a long-time postgresql socket based lib:
http://common-lisp.net/project/pg/

 - cl-rdbms (our fresh clsql replacement,
http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-rdbms/ ) which aims to be a backend
independent sql lib, just like clsql, with sexp sql syntax ( see
http://common-lisp.net/cgi-bin/darcsweb/darcsweb.cgi?r=cl-rdbms-cl-rdbms;a=headblob;f=/test.lisp
for a quick impression ). it has a single backend for now, based on
pg.

 - and postmodern which is something like a mixture of pg and cl-rdbms

we should bring out the best of these... my first impression of
postmodern is that it's more modern and better organized code then pg
which is good.

and to also write actual suggestions besides to this rant, i'd use
http://common-lisp.net/project/local-time/ as the date/time
abstraction data type. it supports timezones and has a string
parser/printer.

and fyi, trivial-sockets seems to be a dead project. i've tried to
contact the author several times with patches and there wasn't any
response; #lisp is on the same opinion. usocket at least welcomes
patches, but it's not really important if t-s can already do
everything needed.

any toughts?

--
- attila

"- The truth is that I've been too considerate, and so became
unintentionally cruel...
 - I understand.
 - No, you don't understand! We don't speak the same language!"
(Ingmar Bergman - Smultronstället)