[movitz-devel] Re: Self-referential functions

Frode Vatvedt Fjeld ffjeld at common-lisp.net
Fri Mar 19 08:54:44 UTC 2004

"Chris Capel" <chris at iBankTech.NET> writes:

> (defun eq (a b)
>    (eq a b))

Nyef's description is correct. I thought I'd add that I agree it's
confusing, and I've thought about having a compiler-macro-call
operator that "applies" a compiler-macro. I.e. so that

  (compiler-macro-call eq a b)

is compiled exactly the same as (eq a b), except that the compiler
would ensure that eq is open-coded somehow.

This would increase readability, and guarantee e.g. that eq is never
ever compiled as an unbounded recursive function, even if the eq
compiler-macro was somehow lost.

--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld