[movitz-devel] Re: The reactions of gc to hard-drive reads

Frode Vatvedt Fjeld ffjeld at common-lisp.net
Fri Jun 18 06:34:43 UTC 2004

Elliott <ejohnson at kvpt.org> writes:

> I found losp/muerte/interupt.lisp which handles exceptions, but it
> seems like this type of exception might be a general case error.  I
> know you have a few of the error message values mapped out, but this
> there a way to figure out this ones meaning?

Not really, except looking at the source/disassembly of the offending
function. However, exception 107 I've put in mostly where I need to
say "this is not a fixnum!", which is quite a few places. Most likely
you've struck upon some operator (such as +) that's compiled without
knowledge of bignums. It's on the near-term todo.

> Yep I poped in there and adjusted the value.  Changing 16000 to
> 65537 on line 192 of los0-gc.lisp allows for 256 sectors to be read
> or writen.  I can now handle 131kb of data to and from disk, plus
> run out of memory a lot faster. :) I'll if I can raise the amount of
> memory seen by los0

256K is a limit you won't be able to fix very soon. But I'm in the
process of fixing this. I'll be away on holiday over this weekend,
though.

> Do you mind if I submit some trivial fixes to files that give
> warnings during compilation?  I've seen a few mentions of function
> referances and things that can be cleaned up.

I most certainly do not mind code contributions :-)

--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld