[movitz-devel] Low-level things

Frode Vatvedt Fjeld ffjeld at common-lisp.net
Wed Jan 21 10:08:36 UTC 2004

I checked in the writer companion to %io-port-read-succession
yesterday, %io-port-write-succession. These operators move untyped
data (in units of 8, 16 or 32 bits) between memory and I/O ports.

I've tried to introduce the % notation from the lisp-machines. It's my
understanding that operator-names beginning with % signalled an unsafe
operation, that if not used with care could damage the run-time
invariants. The idea (on my part) is that such operators are the
building blocks above which more useable operators are written, that
take care of appropriate type-checking etc. before doing the dangerous
operation.

--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld