[movitz-devel] Driver problems

Joel Smith joels at mobyfoo.org
Tue Jan 20 17:40:27 UTC 2004

Hello,

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Frode Vatvedt Fjeld wrote:

> I just checked in the beginnings of a new operator that might help
> you. It's muerte:%io-port-read-succession, and you should be able to
> use it like this:
>
>   (%io-port-read-succession port object 2 0 1 :32-bit)

That's great! I think it's just what I need. I assume you are going to add
an operator for writing to ports as well?

I am a little worried about the lack of a defined API for the device
code. I worry that when people start writing drivers for Muerte then
they will all start doing their own thing in terms of the API. I realize
that you wish to have only a "very thin abstraction over the hardware"
and not a proper driver, which I tend to agree with, but don't we still
need some sort of low level API for the various classes of devices.
If/when in the future someone comes to write proper drivers for a LispOS
based on Movitz they are going to have a terrible time trying to support
all the Muerte device code which shares no common interface. What do
people think about this?

Happy Hacking,

Joel.