[movitz-devel] Re: Topic of list

Frode Vatvedt Fjeld ffjeld at common-lisp.net
Sun Apr 11 16:32:40 UTC 2004

"Chris Capel" <chris at iBankTech.NET> writes:

> Would a persistent object store instead of a filesystem be more
> approiate? (Say yes.)
>
> How would security be handled?

Personally I'd be willing to consider tossing out the traditional
file-system, but I don't really have any great ideas as to what
exactly the alternative would be for general purpose storage.

> Would enforcing a strict barrier between packages be enough to solve
> package conflicts and problems, and what would this barrier look
> like?

I believe there is only one real way to enforce safety and security
barriers, and that's using the (page-based) memory access and
privileges. Packages is mostly a naming mechanism, I think, so I don't
think it's where one can deal with security.

> This kind of questions aren't really strictly Movitz related, but
> the Movitz project does host a little kernel.  Would a real OS
> kernel built (eventually) on Movitz be in a separate project?  Until
> such a kernel materializes, should this kind of discussion take
> place here or somewhere else?

I'd say that so far there's so little traffic here, that this list
would be appropriate for such discussions. Also, Movitz is still so
immature that any substantial project using it would be likely to
influence Movitz as a platform also.

--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld