[mel-base-devel] git repository link is down

Liu Yubao yubao.liu at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 15:01:39 UTC 2010

[[ cross post to quicklisp, hope this isn't annoying as they are all
low volume lists. ]]

Hi Jochen,

I'm glad you fixed the mel-base web page on common-lisp.net quickly,
but Zach and I find
the git repository link is down, could you tell me what happened?
  [[ http://github.com/quicklisp/quicklisp-projects/issues#issue/9 ]]

And the mel-base-announce link on
http://common-lisp.net/project/mel-base/ is wrongly
pointed to mel-base-devel, I think it's better just remove it or fix
the link and announce
a new release, I'm very surprised and happy to see mel-base is
maintained continuously
and well, thanks for your excellent effort.

Recently I'm annoyed many mail clients are stupid to process huge
amounts of mails by IMAP:
   * Thunderbird freezes very often, almost useless
   * Opera responses well but it tries to download all mail headers
which I don't want,
     and it's closed source software.
   * Mutt doesn't show mail list at all before it finishes downloading
all mail headers, too stupid.
   * Alpine tries to download all mail headers and freeze if I want to
sort by thread, and Alpine
     is a little slow to download mails compared to Mutt, I don't know why.
   * Emacs + Gnus/VM/Mew/Wanderlust all freeze when downloading data
because Emacs is
     a single thread application.

As a Common Lisp newbie, I'm playing with some CL libraries about mail
processing,
    * cl-postoffice: maintained well by Franz Inc, but not portable.
    * mel-base: seems very mature (I see you deal with gmail, that's
what I need:-), but document isn't good enough.
    * clonsigna: new and interesting, but not mature enough.

I'm playing mel-base now, hope it help me make a stupid mail client to
handle huge amounts of
mails properly.

Regards,
Yubao Liu