[website][development]

Daniel Kochmański daniel at turtleware.eu
Tue May 31 06:15:52 UTC 2016

C Y writes:

> Woo-hoo - work on McCLIM again!  Awesome!

\o/

>> On Monday, May 23, 2016 10:05 AM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Will you import any code from the official clim2, that was recently opensourced?
>>
>> https://github.com/franzinc/clim2

It is definetely something we would like to investigate at least. If
some parts of Franz's clim2 will be easily portable and McCLIM will
benefit from it – why not.

> Holy cow. I wasn't aware of that - incredible news!
>
> I almost hate to ask, but noticing that a) clim2 now seems to have a
> very liberal license and b) there have been a number of questions over
> the years in the lisp community as to how LGPL licensing on lisp
> modules interacts with commercial Lisp code, does anyone have a sense
> of how the clim2 and McCLIM code bases compare as a starting
> foundation for "modern" CLIM work?

We are continuing with McCLIM. I have personally no issues with
lgpl-2.1+ and McCLIM's codebase is more portable and "modern" in sense
that it has been updated more frequently and uses more "new" techniques
like MOP etc. But I've just skimmed the clim2 codebase and I may be
totally wrong – it seems heavily allegro dependant though.

> I don't want to start a big license debate - if those doing the work
> on the McCLIM code base prefer the LGPL then for me that's an end to
> it - but the availability of the clim2 release makes it worth asking
> the question, IMHO.

Right. My opinion is that lgpl is just fine, but I see no problem with
merging big chunks of clim2 if profitable.

> Cheers,
> CY

Best regards,
Daniel

--
Daniel Kochmański ;; aka jackdaniel | Poznań, Poland
TurtleWare - Daniel Kochmański      | www.turtleware.eu

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi