[mcclim-devel] xxxx

Robert Strandh strandh at labri.fr
Wed Nov 1 06:24:54 UTC 2006

Jack Unrue writes:

 > I've got the general idea that a backend implements a class hierarchy
 > with the responsibility of tying backend-specific constructs (represented
 > by mirrors) to the system-agnostic representation (panes, sheets,
 > and gadgets). The resulting McCLIM object hierarchy needs to shadow
 > the logical structure in the native windowing system (e.g., window
 > parent/child relationships). In McCLIM, one implements specializations
 > of make-pane-1 and realize-mirror to accomplish that. Correct?

Not quite.  As an implementor of backends, you have a choice between
which sheets should be mirrored: pretty much every sheet, only the
top-level sheet, or any solution in between.  For the X11 backend, as
many sheets as possible are mirrored, but there are backends (OpenGL?)
that do not have a hierarchy of windows, and for such backends, CLIM
does implements the parent-child relationship itself.

--
Robert Strandh