[mcclim-devel] Freetype and CFFI

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at real-time.com
Thu Dec 7 16:26:01 UTC 2006

Martin Rydstr|m wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 07:40:47AM -0600, Robert P. Goldman wrote:
>> I'm afraid that I can't help you much beyond that --- I didn't actually
>> *understand* freetype, I just removed the SBCL dependencies from
>> mcclim-freetype (which is really mcclim-freetype-sbcl, AFAICT).
>
> mcclim-freetype works fine with CMUCL, too. (Although you might need to
> be running telent-clx, rather than the CLX that comes with CMUCL.)
>
> ',mr

OK.  I stand corrected.  Nevertheless, I argue that a freetype approach
based on CFFI, which is portable over non-CMU-derived lisps as well as
CMU-derived lisps is preferable, prima facie.
Now, there may be some additional considerations that would make the
CMU-derived-specific approach better, but I don't know of any.  If you
do, please let me know.

Note I'm not trying to brag about my code and denigrate others.  All I
did was tweak the CMU-derived-specific approach to backend to CFFI
instead, a pretty minor change (and one that I did with virtually no
understanding of the code.