[mcclim-devel] Copying text to clipboard loops displaying messages to Konsole

Paolo Amoroso amoroso at mclink.it
Mon Mar 7 19:23:38 UTC 2005

Christophe Rhodes <csr21 at cam.ac.uk> writes:

> Paolo Amoroso <amoroso at mclink.it> writes:
[...]
>>> Can you try running the clim-listener single-threaded, please -- there
>>
>> Do you mean starting the Listener like this?
>>
>>   (clim-listener:run-listener)
>>
>> If so, I already did this for these tests.
>
> Well, maybe, but the backtrace you provided indicates that
> multithreading was running.  Could you turn it off completely, please?

To do these tests I start CMUCL with CLX, load the CLIM Listener with:

  (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :mcclim)

and start it with:

  (clim-listener:run-listener)

Just before starting the Listener, the state of CMUCL multithreading
is as follows:

  * (mp:show-processes)

  -> #<Process Initial {58B8442D}> "Run" ACTIVE
  NIL
  *

Is multithreading running at this stage?  If so, how do I turn it off?

> Oh, yes, CMUCL's clx doesn't have this useful feature.  Please replace
> the call to OPEN-DEFAULT-DISPLAY with however you manage to open
> displays; maybe (open-display "localhost") or (open-display
> "your-host-name") or (open-display "").

I replaced it with (open-display "localhost") and run the test,
i.e. started the program, left clicked in its window, and
midlle-clicked in a Konsole.  The pasted string is:

  Hello, World (from the CLX clipboard)!

Just after starting the program, the output is:

* (clipboard:main)

PropertyNotify :_KDE_NET_WM_USER_CREATION_TIME :NEW-VALUE
PropertyNotify :_NET_WM_DESKTOP :NEW-VALUE
PropertyNotify :_KDE_NET_WM_FRAME_STRUT :NEW-VALUE
PropertyNotify :_NET_WM_ALLOWED_ACTIONS :NEW-VALUE
PropertyNotify :WM_STATE :NEW-VALUE
PropertyNotify :_NET_WM_STATE :NEW-VALUE
PropertyNotify :_NET_WM_ICON_GEOMETRY :NEW-VALUE
PropertyNotify :_NET_WM_ICON_GEOMETRY :NEW-VALUE
ButtonPress

When left clicking, an endless loop displaying messages like this
starts:

> set-selection-owner
SelectionRequest :PRIMARY :TIMESTAMP :KLIPPER
> sending none
SelectionRequest :PRIMARY :TARGETS :_QT_SELECTION
> sending targets list
SelectionRequest :PRIMARY :STRING :_QT_SELECTION
> sending text data
SelectionRequest :PRIMARY :TIMESTAMP :KLIPPER
> sending none
SelectionRequest :PRIMARY :TARGETS :_QT_SELECTION
> sending targets list
SelectionRequest :PRIMARY :STRING :_QT_SELECTION
> sending text data
SelectionRequest :PRIMARY :TIMESTAMP :KLIPPER
> sending none
SelectionRequest :PRIMARY :TARGETS :_QT_SELECTION
> sending targets list
SelectionRequest :PRIMARY :STRING :_QT_SELECTION
> sending text data
SelectionRequest :PRIMARY :TIMESTAMP :KLIPPER
> sending none
PropertyNotify :_NET_WM_ICON_GEOMETRY :NEW-VALUE
SelectionRequest :PRIMARY :TARGETS :_QT_SELECTION
> sending targets list
SelectionRequest :PRIMARY :STRING :_QT_SELECTION
> sending text data
SelectionRequest :PRIMARY :TARGETS :_QT_SELECTION
> sending targets list
SelectionRequest :PRIMARY :STRING :_QT_SELECTION
> sending text data
SelectionRequest :PRIMARY :TIMESTAMP :KLIPPER
> sending none
[...]

Paolo
--