[mcclim-devel] text with negative x-offsets

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 12 11:15:10 UTC 2005

Christophe Rhodes <csr21 at cam.ac.uk> writes:

> Find attached a preliminary patch to deal with the fact that, in
> general, glyphs from fonts are not constrained to draw only to the
> right of the cursor position.

A revised patch is attached, which is still not commit-worthy but
fixes the opposite-problem as well: glyphs which draw beyond their
advance width.  (Thanks to Dave Murray aka JQS for testing).

The current plan is for us here at Goldsmiths to perform a little more
testing and extend it to the PostScript backend.  I suppose that the
logical thing to do is to call TEXT-BOUNDING-RECTANGLE* a backend
function and require backends to implement it for their backend-medium.

This imposes a maintenance burden on those interested in the OpenGL
and beagle backends, but I hope not a terrible one.  I note, from the
screenshot at
http://www.bloodandcoffee.net/campbell/climacs-beagle-porn.png for
example, that there seem to be similar redraw artifacts in the beagle
backend in any case, so it could well be that an implementation of
text-bounding-rectangle* there clears those up.  (Is anyone out there
using the OpenGL backend?)