[graphic-forms-devel] Up and running

David Lichteblau david at lichteblau.com
Wed Aug 29 09:46:23 UTC 2007

Hi Jack,

Quoting Jack Unrue (jdunrue at gmail.com):
> I suspect your current working directory is not the top of the
> graphic-forms directory when you go to load the system,
> which is mentioned as step 3 in the How To Configure and Build
> section of the readme.

I have not followed graphic-forms changes in the last year, and when I
tried building it with clbuild the last time it worked well, but in
general the whole procedure described in "How To Configure and Build" is
a little bit unusual.

IIRC when adding graphic forms to clbuild I just ignored all that was
written there; the only trick is to set up .asd file symlinks
  for src/external-libraries/*/*/*.asd

While that is easy enough, I think most users will be confused by extra
instructions (config.lisp, gfsys::configure-asdf) that are not strictly
necessary and not familiar from other projects.

Having to special-case graphic-forms in build scripts that would
otherwise expect to just symlink graphic-forms/*.asd is also slightly
inconvenient.  I would suggest either moving those extra .asd files into
the top-level graphic-forms directory or to move those external-library
directories into separate installations.

Finally, I seem to recall various configuration variables for absolute
paths that could have been computed automatically using
  (slot-value (asdf:find-system :graphic-forms) 'asdf::relative-pathname)
in the appropriate places.

Thanks,
d.