[fetter-devel] Quick CFFI update

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Tue Jul 5 15:22:49 UTC 2005

C Y wrote:

>--- Kenny Tilton <ktilton at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi, Cliff. I did not mean to bite your head off, just a couple of
>>fingers. :) Everything you said was spot on as far as I am concerned,
>>and input on design questions from the interested and FFI-savvy
>>community is great to have, so don't hold back.
>>
>>--
>>Kenny
>>

>No worries :-).  Irrelevant discussion is often a severe drag on
>getting stuff done,

The funny thing is that I also want project developers to get input from
the community via c.l.l, Planet Lisp, and #Lisp. Talk about a potential
for irrelevant discussion.... :)

>Which does bring up one potentially useful question I can pose - for
>those without much FFI experience, but wanting to get up to speed so as
>to be actually useful to this effort, what are the recommended
>resources?  Books, implimentation docs, FFI user guides?

I think you can grab the AllegroCL Trial for any OS and get their FFI
doc and discussion. That might even be accessible via the Web. That is
the one I know, but likewise for Lispworks or even CLisp. I think just
reading that will give you a feel for the issues as an applications
person. If you are really feeling energetic, try using the FFI of your
implementation to get to a fun library, such as OpenGL or SDL. You can
cheat when you get stuck by finding existing bindings on c-l.net. A dead
simple library is OpenAL, by the way, for (pretty much) playing WAV
files with 3D effects such as Doppler shift.

Mind you, our joint objective is sparing application developers most of
this grief. We'll call it "C/C++ Plug 'n Play", assuming no one has
already used that tag line. :)

--
Kenny

"If you plan to enter text which our system might consider to be obscene, check here to certify that you are old enough to hear the resulting output." -- Bell Labs text-to-speech interactive Web page