[fetter-devel] Quick CFFI update

C Y smustudent1 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 4 21:01:55 UTC 2005

--- Kenny Tilton <ktilton at nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> C Y wrote:
> >
> >This isn't too surprising, is it?
> >
> I am sorry. Exactly who are you? And what is your interest here?
> Your comments are fine, but irrelevant to this discussion, which
> is why I ask.

My name is Cliff Yapp.  I'm essentially an observer on these lists, but
I do have an interest in FFI's in Lisp from the standpoint of the
Maxima computer algebra system - FFIs are considered a promising way to
incorporate things like fast numerical libraries into Maxima.  But for
this to be viable we would need to have a univeral (at least over the
free lisps we support) FFI.

I apologize for being irrelevant.  Since I am not currently a code
contributing list member I'll refrain from further comment unless I
have actual code contributions.

> CFFI is fine just the way it is. The relevant question is: can Luis
> fulfill his commitment (a universal FFI) by extending CFFI, and what
> does he buy by taking that route. You seem to like my guess as to
> what he buys, but you, like me, seem to be speculating. The whole
> point of this discussion is to stop speculating and start making
> concrete, verifiable assertions of fact about CFFI and the path to
> true universality.

Which means code.  Fair enough.

> The last thing Common Lisp needs is another half-baked,
> non-portable, and/or incomplete FFI. The whole point of these
> summer projects is to give CL truly universal FFI and sockets,
> eliminating two huge complaints: interfering with more widespread
> acceptance and more useful open source: what good is an open source
> package if it uses FFI and/or sockets, hence only runs here and
> there?

Amen,

Signing off, and best of luck!

CY