[erlisp-devel] Re: SoC status update please

Joel Reymont joelr1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 00:27:33 UTC 2005

I think within Erlang nodes use a keep alive message to make sure
they have not been split off. Quite often, though, you cannot detect
if the foreign process exists. If it's a local process id and you
send it a message and it's dead then you will get a no_proc
exception, not so with a foreign process.

It does seem to me that the easiest way to verify if a node is alive
is to send a keep-alive message to a housekeeping process on that
node and consider it split off if a reply is not received after a
timeout.

I'm not sure if it matters if a node is dead or just split off.

--
http://wagerlabs.com/uptick