[erlisp-devel] openmcl patches

Eric Lavigne lavigne.eric at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 05:09:33 UTC 2005

> i've filled in the missing pieces in compatibility.lisp to
> support openmcl. all tests pass reliably except the test
> receive-with-timeout occassionally runs a few milliseconds
> too long.
>
> my darcs repo is here:
> http://monday-monkey.com/repos/erlisp/
>

> ...bryan

I had exactly the same problem the first time I tried to add CMUCL support.
The line that helped CMUCL was (mp:process-yield), which made an
order-of-magnitude difference in the amount of wasted time in the polling
loop (though it would be better to not have a polling loop at all). Does
OpenMCL have something similar? It sounds like you are most of the way
there. The hard part is making it work at all, and you've done that.
Optimizing to boost the speed is comparatively easy.

If you can't find a way to improve the speed, it might be okay to submit
your changes as they stand. Add a comment line in the event-wait function
indicating that some optimization is needed for the OpenMCL version, make a
similar note in the patch description, and submit the 90% solution that
might be useful as-is and that we can work on improving later.

Eric