[erlisp-devel] name(s) for link function

Eric Lavigne lavigne.eric at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 18:43:28 UTC 2005

If links will be uni-directional, then there is a need to distinguish
the direction of a link. I am looking for discussion and suggestions
regarding how to do this.

I propose that (link pid) be used to indicate that *current-process*
be notified when process pid terminates. I imagine that this is the
more common case. A process needs to know about an event, so it
requests notification.

The other direction (reverse-link pid) would mean that
*current-process* should send notification to process pid when
*current-process* terminates.

Anyone think that these two names should be reversed? Perhaps
reverse-link is more useful and should get the simpler name? Any
thoughts about a better name than reverse-link?

I will be writing these functions over the next couple days, so it
would be convenient to know in advance what names we will be using for
them. This may seem like a trivial matter, but such things tend to be
difficult to change (backwards compatibility issues). Let's find
something that we will be comfortable with later.

Eric