[erlisp-devel] Re: Erlisp progress?

Eric Lavigne lavigne.eric at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 17:09:37 UTC 2005

> Dear Eric,
> haven't had news from you in a while. How is your Erlisp progress? Is
> everything going fine? Are there stumbling blocks?

Dear Faré,

One issue is that I never used conditions before. I read a bit about
them in PCL. What I am imagining is creating a default condition
handler which catches any unhandled conditions and sends them as
messages to the parent thread (then arranges for its own thread and
its children to be shut down). Maybe the handler could be implemented
by replacing
(make-thread thunk) with something like this
(make-thread (lambda () (default-condition-handler thunk)))

Does this sort of thing work? Can I throw a condition, catch it, send
it as a message, then throw it again in another process?

There is also a need for each process to keep track of its parent and
any children. This should be simple, but it is not yet clear to me how
to do it.

Another issue, of course, is time. Classes have started again, and
there is only a week left for SoC. I am going to keep trying until the
end, but this is looking very hard.

I have been reading the Erlisp source, PCL, and Concurrent Programming
in Erlang, but now it is definitely time to get back to coding.

Eric