[elephant-devel] Release 1.0b1

Ian Eslick eslick at media.mit.edu
Mon Jun 22 21:01:14 UTC 2009

> I've also wondered what parts of syncing run inside a
> transaction. ASDF compilation prevents async interruptions
> at least but of course another thread could be in the middle
> of some op when the sync happens.
>
>  Leslie

Synchronization in the sense of on-disk instance updates are all
degree-2 transactional as I recall.  However the rub is the caching of
class schema references in the slots of  persistent-metaclasses
instances.  The transaction system doesn't help with side effects to
non-DB objects.  Generally, schema updates are done by a single
thread, but they may interfere with other threads that, for instance,
are doing a lazy schema update on an access to a non-updated instance.

Ian