[elephant-devel] Installing elephant on Mac OS X using Darwin Ports to obtain bdb

Ben Hyde bhyde at pobox.com
Sun Aug 20 16:22:39 UTC 2006

On Mac OSX or Darwin there are two entire systems for installing 3rd
party open source code: Fink[1], and Darwin Ports[2].  Each of these
systems has it's advantages.  For example, Darwin Ports system is
bundled with Mac OS.  Which means it's always at hand.  To install
Berkeley DB using Darwin Ports you do:

    sudo port install db4

Currently elephant's instructions describe how to get Berkeley DB
wired up based on having installed used Fink.
If you installed it using Darwin Ports then you will need to arrange
your elephant Makefile so that:

DB43DIR=/opt/local/
DBINCDIR=$(DB43DIR)/include/db4/
DBLIBDIR=$(DB43DIR)/lib/

And then in config.lisp you'll need to arrange to have *sleepycat-
foreign-library-path* set to "/opt/local/lib/libdb-4.3.dylib".

At that point it all "just works" under sbcl 0.9.14 on my powerbook G4.

Well actually not, these four tests fail: PCURSOR2, INDEXING-WIPE-
INDEX, INDEXING-REDEF-CLASS, INDEXING-TIMING.

But generally it does a good job of appearing to working well for
me.  My little 3 Gigbyte data base with a half dozen classes and a
dozen indexes works quite nicely.

  - ben

[1] http://fink.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/