[drakma-devel] drakma vs. http://popurls.com

Chris Dean ctdean at sokitomi.com
Tue Jan 30 02:20:17 UTC 2007

Edi Weitz <edi at agharta.de> writes:
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:23:58 -0800, Chris Dean <ctdean at sokitomi.com> wrote:
> According to
>
>   http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fpopurls.com%2F
>
> the website claims to be encoded as UTF-8 but contains octet sequences
> that are illegal in UTF-8.  And that's why you get errors -

That makes sense, and I'm glad to know that the error is on their end.

> You should probably ask the operators of popurls.com to fix their
> site.

I certainly will do that, but I now have a larger problem.  The
problem is that I regularly download web pages and many of them are
poorly formed.  I'd like my software to be permissive and return
something reasonable.

Drakma is nicely designed and I'd like to keep using it.  If I were to
add this "feature" of less-strict UTF-8 where should I do that?

I could modify (define-char-reader (stream flexi-utf-8-input-stream) ...)
in some clever way I suppose.

Cheers,
Chris Dean