[clpython-devel] Re: CLPython on SBCL

Jason Nielsen jdn at math.carleton.ca
Sat May 17 16:17:17 UTC 2008

On Sat, 17 May 2008, Willem Broekema wrote:

> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Jason Nielsen <jdn at math.carleton.ca> wrote:
>> When running sbcl in a console without slime I get the following error when
>> requiring clpython:
>> [...]
>> ; #<PACKAGE "ASDF0">
>> ; registering #<SYSTEM #:CLOSER-MOP {B116399}> as CLOSER-MOP
>> ; #<PACKAGE "ASDF0">
>> ; registering #<SYSTEM #:LW-COMPAT {B247471}> as LW-COMPAT
>> WARNING: change in instance length of class SB-PRETTY:PRETTY-STREAM:
>>  current length: 25
>>  compile time length: 27
>
> Does not sound good...
>
>> which seems to be a problem with lw-compat.
>
> Indeed.

Turns out that closer-mop (the latest from the darcs repo) doesn't rely on
lw-compat (I've attached for your convenience).  So I removed the old
lw-compat and closer-mop and rebuilt.  Clpython builds and runs the tests
successfully:

**********************************
End CLPython test
Errors detected in this test: 4
Successes this test:705

However, when I require clpython in an raw sbcl console I still get the
error:

into
; #<PACKAGE "ASDF0">
; registering #<SYSTEM #:CLOSER-MOP {B116399}> as CLOSER-MOP
WARNING: change in instance length of class SB-PRETTY:PRETTY-STREAM:
   current length: 25
   compile time length: 27

debugger invoked on a SIMPLE-ERROR in thread #<THREAD "initial thread"
{A884589}>:
   The class SB-PRETTY:PRETTY-STREAM was not changed, and there's no
guarantee that
the loaded code (which expected another layout) will work.

which is similar to before but now closer-mop is the culprit.  If you
accept a few time it will load and run the tests so it doesn't seem as
serious as one may think.

Out of curiosity I just:

(require 'closer-mop)

and it loads fine so I don't think the problem is there.  Not sure what
slime adds to the mix such that it doesn't have any trouble.

Cheers,
Jason