[clpython-devel] Re: clpython-devel Digest, Vol 1, Issue 1

Ben midfield at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 18:12:04 UTC 2006

> Hi Ben,
>
> Congratulations for sending the first post to CLPython-devel :-)

my interest in the project was to attempt to port the large number of
interesting and high quality pure python libraries out there to lisp.
seems like a worthwhile goal.  i would have expected other lispers to
realize there's a lot of low hanging fruit out there.

> It's the easy approach, and it more or less proves that Python as
> language is a subset of Common Lisp. Well, except for generators, as
> CL does not have a 'yield'-like operations.

presumably this can be simulated either with CPS or a state machine
(that's how C# does it, at least.)

> Right now all the b*.py benchmark files can be run successfully on

that's fantastic!

> I had listed the two most important dependencies (in my eyes) on
> Allegro CL at the moment. I know about the existence of CL-Yacc; never
> used it, though I assume it should not be too much work to let
> CLPython play nicely with it.
>
> As for the environments, I'd have to look more into that. Allegro CL
> has extended the CLTL2 environments, and I use ACL's functionality.
>
> If it's possible to use custom declaration types (declare (pydecl
> ...)); and if it's possible to get the value of those declarations
> from an &environment variable in macros, that might be enough already
> for what the Python compiler needs.

it looks like the environment support in sbcl is somewhat rudimentary.
 in particular, there is no define-declaration.  i don't know if it
would be difficult to add.

however, franz has generously supplied a portable environments implementation

http://lispwire.com/entry-proganal-envaccess-des

which they claim works on sbcl.  it is LLGPL.

> You mention creating a compatiblity layer. Perhaps ACL-compat offers a
> lot of the desired functionality already?

that's an idea.  another idea is to use the various proto-standards
that are floating around for things like network, fs, et cetera.

> Good to see you're interested :-)

unfortunately i'm supposed to be finishing a dissertation soon.  so i
don't have time myself in the short term.  but eventually i will have
time and hope to be able to help.

keep us informed!

regards, B