[climacs-devel] paredit.lisp, regularization of motion commands, and more

Troels Henriksen athas at sigkill.dk
Tue Jun 6 23:58:49 UTC 2006

"Taylor R. Campbell" <campbell at mumble.net> writes:

> Any thoughts & comments on any of these ideas?

I like these ideas and have begun experimenting with them in my
Climacs tree (don't worry, I won't commit anything until it's stable
and reviewed here). It seems to work very well and does make it
simpler to manage the growing number of commands in Climacs. There is
one thing from this proposal that I do not like, though - I do not
believe the FORWARD-OBJECT generic function should take a syntax as
argument for a number of reasons:

         * FORWARD-OBJECT is a low-level function that should behave
           identically across all syntaxes anyway.
         * FORWARD-OBJECT is part of the buffer protocol, which is
           used in so many places that changing it would probably
           cause wide breakage.
         * FORWARD-OBJECT is used in layers that have no concepts of
           syntaxes, just buffers.

Therefore, FORWARD-OBJECT's interface will be a bit different than the
other movement functions, though this should invisible to the user at
the command-level.

--
\  Troels "Athas" Henriksen
/\ - Insert witty signature