[clfswm-devel] Comparsion of clfswm with other "extensible" WMs

Teika Kazura teika at lavabit.com
Mon Aug 20 12:36:31 UTC 2012

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 00:31:12 +0200, Philippe Brochard wrote:
> First, thanks a lot for your work on Sawfish. I have really liked to use
> it! I have yet some references for it on my web page :)
>
>     http://hocwp.free.fr/ah2cl/screen-cmucl.png  (~year 2005)

De rien (not at all =^). I only started to join Sawfish development
since 2008. Yeah, I thank J Harper, the original Sawfish developer,
and the community.

> Of course, I'll fill this page soon.

Thank you very much for your fast edits.

>> I have a question. In Sawfish, users can easily override files
>> installed system-wide. For example, /usr/share/sawfish/lisp/foo/bar.jl
>> yields to ~/.sawfish/lisp/foo/bar.jl. Is it possible in clfswm?
>> (Perhaps not difficult at all for Common lisp.)
>>
> The proposed way to do what you say with CLFSWM is to rewrite some
> functions in your .clfswmrc configuration file. Same name, same
> arguments but different body.

I see. If it's sufficient for you, then it's ok. FYI, I explain why
it's useful for Sawifsh.

1. Each lisp file (somewhat) defines a class, and the pathname is
related to the class name, and not all functions are global in
Sawfish. (You may know that Sawfish's lisp, librep, is a peculiar
mixture of EmacsLisp and Scheme.)
2. Even codes executed prior to the user script, ~/.sawfish/rc, can be
hacked by the above machanism.

In fact, that override feature was written by me, and it really
helped me. As a user, I put customization in ~/.sawfish/lisp, and
as a developer, I stash testing codes to ~/.sawfish/dev{1,2,3,...}
(An env-var SAWFISH_USER_LISP_DIR controls them.)

(I use Emacs, and I wonder what's the good way to override Emacs's
lisp files. The workarounds I write are dirty, and irritate me at
Emacs upgrading.)

Thanks a lot.
Teika (Teika kazura)