[clfswm-devel] clfswm in different environments

Philippe Brochard pbrochard at common-lisp.net
Sat Mar 5 23:44:07 UTC 2011

Desmond O. Chang writes:

> On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 00:02, Philippe Brochard
> <pbrochard at common-lisp.net> wrote:
>>
>> And clisp is surely a better option for you.
>
> Definitely.  I always use clisp/new-clx for clfswm and stumpwm.
>
>> How do you see that clfswm is freezing? If this is when you move a frame
>> or a window, the freeze maybe normal as this is a cpu intensive
>> action. Maybe the gc comes in action (maybe something consing to
>> mush). I'll take a look.
>
> Well, it's not clfswm, it's conkeror.  If you have a gmail accout,
> please open the standard ui in conkeror and use it.  Conkeror will
> freeze after a few minutes.

I'll take a look but I have to create a gmail account first.

>> I've a box with the double of cpu and a lot more memory. But I always
>> disable flash except when I really need it (vlc is good for viewing
>> youtube). clisp is surely a better option for you. You can also try
>> cmucl which use less memory.
>
> I've tested on cmucl.  Here is my conclusion:
>
> clisp/new-clx
>
> - Perfect.
>
> sbcl/portable-clx
>
> - Conkeror freezes when viewing gmail
> - Iceweasel freezes when view flash.
>
> cmucl/cmu-clx
>
> - Conkeror freezes when viewing gmail.

And with clisp/portable-clx? I ask this because I think there is too
many CLX too.

>>> Why does clisp require this with portable clx but sbcl not?
>>>
>> Don't know. cmucl has solved this but the open-clx-display is not
>> portable.
>>
>> http://www.cons.org/cmucl/doc/clx-authorization.html
>
> Will never test.  Unportable solution sucks.  We have too many CLX.

Totally agree for both. If the cmucl code can be ported to others CLX
we'll use it. But I have no need for it for now.
For the too many CLX it's very confusing to have all those choices :)
On the other hand switching from a version to another let me found some
bugs in CLFSWM. It's for this reason I've recommended the clisp/mit-clx
solution for a long time. The portable-clx is threaded on sbcl and this
have caused some ugly bugs hard to found.
But ideally, only one CLX version packaged in all lisp implementation
will be a good thing.