[cl-typesetting-devel] *use-exact-char-boxes*

Marc Battyani marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com
Thu May 11 21:55:34 UTC 2006

"Dmitriy Ivanov" <divanov at aha.ru> wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> Is anybody trying to set *use-exact-char-boxes* to true?
>
> I have noticed that text is actually shift a bit down within table cells
> and
> draw-block when *use-exact-char-boxes* is false (default). Setting it to
> true seems to make a page look prettier but reveals problems with
> *leading*.
> (IMHO, the leading or leading-ratio slot should be added to the text-style
> class.)
>
> Are there any general directions about *use-exact-char-boxes*?

Hi Dmitriy,

If you set *use-exact-char-boxes* to t then the characters on a line will
use their real bounding box like it is defined in the char metrics.
If it is set to t then the height of the bounding box will be replaced by
the value of *leading* to ensure that the lines have all the same leading.

In fact generally you want to have the same leading for all the lines. I
added *use-exact-char-boxes* for the math mode to deal with the special math
characters.

BTW it was nice to meet you at the ECLM. I hope you have recovered your
voice... ;-)

Marc