[cl-typesetting-devel] How to make some text flush left and some flush right?

Peter Seibel peter at gigamonkeys.com
Thu Jul 20 00:48:20 UTC 2006

Suppose I want to make a header that has a chapter name on the left
and a page number on the right like this:

  |   Chapter One                                         p. 1   |
  |                                                              |
  |   Normal text here blah blah blah. The quick brown fox       |
  |   jumps over the lazy dog ...                                |
  |                                                              |

In the past I've built a table but that requires knowing the width of
the page and computing the width of various pieces of text. It seems
like there ought to be a simple way to say, make a box containing
"Chapter One" that is sized to it's natural size, another box
containing nothing that expands to fill available space, and a third
containing "p. 1", also sized to it's natural size and then lay those
three boxes out in a horizontal line to get the effect I want. Is
there any easy way to do that?

-Peter

Peter Seibel           * peter at gigamonkeys.com