[cl-typesetting-devel] Unicode support feedback needed

Andras Simon andras at renyi.hu
Sun Nov 6 11:40:32 UTC 2005

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005, Marc Battyani wrote:

> Hi Andras,
>
> > With
> >
> > (defmacro unicode-string-type ()
> >   #+lispworks ''lispworks:simple-text-string
> >   #+sbcl ''simple-string
> >   #+(or allegro clisp) ''simple-base-string
> >   #-(or lispworks sbcl clisp allegro) ''string)
>
> Great! I will put this.
>
> > I could only make Allegro (8.0 beta) happy. The result of
> > TYPESET::UNICODE-HELLO seems to be identical (not byte for byte, but
> that's
> > probably due to compression) to LW's output.
> >
> > CLISP chokes on Salza:
>
> OK, can you try without compression ?
> (setf pdf:*compress-streams* nil)

Not yet, because CLISP's got a problem with cl-pdf/pdf-geom.lisp too. I'll
look into these offending files later today.

> > Compiling file
> /home/simon/lisp_packages/marcb/cl-pdf/salza/compressor.lisp ...
> > *** - invalid byte sequence #xCF #xEE in CHARSET:UTF-8 conversion
> >
> > SBCL's output is definitely very different from what LW and Allegro
> produces,
> > even though
> >
> >     (coerce (list (code-char 955)) 'simple-string)
> >
> > does return a string.
>
> OK but is it correct ?

CL-USER> (with-open-file (s "/tmp/usbcl" :external-format :utf-8 :direction :output :if-exists :supersede)
           (write-line
            (coerce
             (loop for i from 1 to (1- (expt 2 16))
                 collecting (code-char i))
             'simple-string) s)
           (values))

in SBCL, and

CL-USER> (with-open-file (s "/tmp/uacl" :external-format :utf-8 :direction :output :if-exists :supersede)
           (write-line
            (coerce
             (loop for i from 1 to (1- (expt 2 16))
                 collecting (code-char i))
             'simple-base-string) s)
           (values))

in ACL give identical result, if this is what you meant.

> BTW maybe you should put the mailing list in CC so that others are informed
> too if they are interested.

Oops, sorry, I hit Reply without looking at the headers.

Andras