[cl-typesetting-devel] Q: How to disable hyphenation andkerningglobally?

Marc Battyani marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com
Mon Feb 9 22:23:25 UTC 2004

Peter Seibel <peter at javamonkey.com> writes:
> "Marc Battyani" <marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com> writes:
>
> > Hyphenation would benefit from a special variable holding the language
(or
> > nil) and functions/macros to deal with it (set-hyphenation-language,
> > with-no-hyphenation, etc.)
>
> Yes. This would be useful. The put-source-code-string is perfect for
> whole paragraphs of source code but I also want to be able to mark a
> span of text within a paragraph as not to be hyphenated. Another
> related feature would be to have a way to mark a string of text as not
> to be broken on whitespace. I use this in my HTML styles for inline
> code snippets to prevent "(foo bar baz)" from getting broken like "(foo
> bar baz)"

This one is a small one. I will try to find the time to do it.

> P.S. The beginning-of-page formatting lossage is still happening--I
> have the latest cl-pdf and cl-typesetting from subversion. I'm not
> sure how to characterize the problem it except that the first
> paragraph of each page has some fairly high probability of having its
> formatting screwed up in some way, often manifesting as characters
> getting run together and overlapped, sometimes by reverting to the
> default font. Without my patch this happens on every page; with my
> patch it only happens sometimes. Note that I'm adding a header to my
> page; that may have something to do with it. My latest code is at:
>
>  <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/my-typeset.lisp>
>
> An output file that exhibits the problem is at:
>
>  <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/cl-typeset-bug.pdf>

Quite nice! (well except for the bug)

Your code seems ok for me when I look at it.
If you send me some working toy exemple reproducing the problem I will look
at it.
It could be a mismatch between my graphic state and the pdf's one.

Marc