[cl-ppcre-devel] report a bug

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Thu Jun 25 19:21:53 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 4:31 AM, Xiangjun Wu<netawater at gmail.com> wrote:

>                  "(\\w+)*\\@\\w+"

That's the type of regular expression that typically leads to a
combinatorial explosion in regex engines unless they use specific
"tricks" to deal with this.  Recent versions of Perl are pretty clever
in this regard (they look for "floating" substrings) while CL-PPCRE
isn't, but - frankly - I don't really see the point of this.  I think
this is mainly so that the regex engine looks good in benchmarks.  I
definitely wouldn't call this a bug.

The question is - what do you want to achieve with this regular
expression?  Can't you write it in a simpler way?

Cheers,
Edi.