[cl-ppcre-devel] Re: cl-ppcre question

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Wed Mar 10 23:50:12 UTC 2004

Hi Arthur!

Sorry for the late reply, I was on vacation.

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:36:46 -0600, Arthur Gold <artiegold at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> A quick question from and old (out of work) programmer who has
> suddenly had a little Common Lisp work fall in his lap (yea!): I've
> been starting to work with cl-ppcre for a project, and the following
> result confuses me --
>
> (ppcre::scan "(\w)*" "A_B_C")
>
> returns NIL
>
> Shouldn't "(\w)*" match any sequence of letters or underscores?
>
> Many thanks for your time.

Try (PPCRE::SCAN "(\\w)*" "A_B_C") instead. The first backslash is
necessary because of CL's string syntax, the second backslash is the
one that's actually "sent" to CL-PPCRE.

  * (princ "\w")
  "w"
  * (princ "\\w")
  \w
  "\\w"

If you think you're using too much backslashes you might want to check
CL-INTERPOL.

Cheers,
Edi.

PS: Please use the CL-PPCRE mailing list if possible.