[Cl-pdf-devel] reduce PDF size - font subset?

Dmitry Ivanov ystok-systema at rambler.ru
Thu Jun 5 06:38:11 UTC 2014

Tomasz wrote on Tue, 3 Jun 2014 21:32:14 +0000 (UTC) 01:32:

| I have issue with national fonts (Polish).
| The only way to render them properly we found, was to embed Type1
| fonts. The problem is that now every file is >200kb since it has full
| Type1 2 fonts embeded.
| When i use http://smallpdf.com/compress-pdf, it seems that the embeding of
| subset of fonts should solve the problem.
|
| Eventually i have 2 questions
| 1) is there any way to have Polish letters without embeding fonts?
| 2) if not, is it possible to reduce the size of files? embed subset of
| the fonts?

AFAIK, font subsets is not implemented in the current version of CL-PDF.

If you wish your PDF-files were used only by people in the intranet and
browsed with AcroReader, you could install the necessary fonts files just on
their computers. For example, on Windows the directory is something like

   C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat x.x\Resource\Font\

In this configuration, the couple of PFB- and PFM-files should be installed
on the target computer for each font.

When you generate PDF, only AFM-files are taken into consideration, PFB are
not loaded.
--
Sincerely,
Dmitry Ivanov