[cl-pdf-devel] encoding question

Cyrus Harmon ch-lisp at bobobeach.com
Wed May 9 05:29:17 UTC 2007

So, now that I'm finally getting around to exploring cl-pdf a bit,
I'm running across issues that others have run into before. Is there
any documentation on the encoding besides just seeing what's in
encodings.lisp and in the pdf file? I don't know a lot about SBCLs
encodings either, much less other lisps, but it would be nice if
there were some mappings between the encodings of the lisp and the
pdf encodings. As it is it seems like there are mappings on top of a
single encoding (different for each lisp of course) and that the
codes of that encoding, not the characters per se, are then remapped
to postscript encodings. I used trial and error to see what was what.
While it's nice that #\COPYRIGHT_SIGN does the right thing, it would
be even nicer if #\LEFT_DOUBLE_QUOTATION_MARK, e.g. and the rest of
the postscript-available symbols worked with their equivalents in the
encoding of the host lisp.

> > Am I missing something really simple trying to insert these
> characters?
> > The
> > pdf itself comes out with an 'A' with a carat over it and then the
> > character I
> > want.  I'm using shift-alt-0 for copyright and alt-e for trademark.
>
> It depends of the encoding used in the pdf font. You can look at the
> encodings or you can write a program to output a code=>character
> table to
> see what is the code of a given character.
>
> Marc

Thanks,

Cyrus