[cl-pdf-devel] a small patch, perhaps

Aleksandar Bakic a_bakic at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 31 17:55:07 UTC 2005

> OK. I will do the same for write-cid-string too.

BTW, I have been trying to write-document into a string instead of a file (I
need not save the PDf into a file), using sbcl with sb-unicode. There is a
problem with it because a string cannot have :external-format set to an 8-bit
type. When compression is turned on, the resulting PDF string is for some
reason truncated (I guess, some sequences of bytes are interpreted as Unicode
characters; it's strange that I haven't hit an invalid one yet).

On the other hand, I think I've read that PDF is essentially a binary format
(it allows compression, and whatever is human-readable is "by chance"). How
about using write-byte instead of write-char all over the code? There would
probably still be a problem with strings: I can (MAKE-STRING-OUTPUT-STREAM
:ELEMENT-TYPE '(UNSIGNED-BYTE 8)) but GET-OUTPUT-STREAM-STRING expects a string
of characters... Perhaps there is way around the problem?

Alex