[cl-pdf-devel] Representation of basic PDF objects

Marc Battyani marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com
Mon Apr 26 21:08:23 UTC 2004

"Arthur Lemmens" <alemmens at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Marc Battyani wrote:
>
> > Yes but IMO you should just read and write them in the same way
(strings)
> > rather than read, convert to symbol then convert to string, write. Well
> > again this is if you just want to draw on an existing pdf. If you want
> > analyse a pdf then it's another story.
>
> I understand what you mean. I have this tendency to generalize a bit
> more than is strictly necessary for my current problem, and not to
> worry too much about some extra overhead. I think the Extreme Programming
> philosophy of "Only do what you need today" is a bit too extreme ;-)

Yes, extremes are always too extremes. ;-)
In both directions...

> > Sorry, but I replied to you just after reading the CLISP developpers
replies
> > about an ambiguous feature of LOOP (cf. the cl-typesetting mailing list
for
> > details) so I was rather upset :(
>
> Yeah, I saw your messages on cl-typesetting. Sometimes I get the
impression
> that the CLISP maintainers would rather program in Scheme ;-)

I don't know how old is CLISP but I remember that in the late 80's there was
a violent anti-CL trend in the European academic people. So your analysis is
probably the good one they would indeed rather prefer to program in
Scheme...

> But I agree
> with Klaus that ITERATE is a very nice package. I've been using it from
> time to time for my own programs and would like to see it used more often
> for Open Source stuff.

Yes, I also like ITERATE this is why I proposed it to Klaus. If everybody is
OK I will integrate it to cl-pdf/cl-typesetting. By using it we will avoid
the problem of the fuzzy loop semantics on the anti-loop implementation.

> P.S. Are you, or anyone else on this list, planning to go to the
>      Lisp workshop in Oslo?

I don't know yet. I would like for sure!

Marc