[cl-json-devel] Any interest in moving from darcs to git?

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Thu Nov 8 03:52:49 UTC 2012

I have had some unpleasant issues with darcs working on cl-json, and I
find that working with it is very badly hampered by its lack of
mindshare compared with other DVCSes.  In particular:

1.  The darcs maintainers are unable to supply binaries for Mac OSX.
2.  No one has stepped up to the plate to provide a graphical UI for
working with darcs.

Not only are these a nuisance in and of themselves (the former
especially, since darcs does not build on an out-of-the-box install of
the Haskell Platform), they are the signs of a tool that does not have
an adequately robust support community.

Combine this with the oddity of the usage model, compared with other
DCVSes,[1] and you have real problems.

I am not volunteering to maintain CL-JSON, so it is ultimately not up to
me.  But I have submitted a number of patches, so I feel that I have
standing at least to offer the suggestion.

Note that I don't think that darcs, in and of itself, is a bad system.
But there are more than enough DCVSes out there, and we can use one less
of them.

Best regards,
Robert

[1] See, for example: